Beat the heat this February with this easy and delicious prawn and papaya salad and wash it down with a glass of dry rosé.
• 1kg green prawns, peeled, deveined
• 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
• 1 long fresh red chilli, finely chopped
• 2cm-piece fresh ginger, peeled, grated
• 1 lime, rind finely grated, juiced
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
• 1 papaya, seeded, cut into 2cm pieces
• 2 spring onions (shallots), thinly sliced
• 1 long fresh red chilli, extra, seeded, finely chopped
1. Combine the prawns, oil, chilli, ginger, lime rind and 1 tablespoon of the coriander in a large bowl. Season. Thread onto soaked bamboo or metal skewers. Transfer to a large plate, cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to marinate.
2. Meanwhile, combine the papaya, spring onion, extra chilli, lime juice and remaining coriander in a bowl. Season.
3. Braai or chargrill on medium-high. Cook the skewers, turning, for 3-4 minutes or until the prawns change colour and are lightly charred. Serve with the papaya salsa and Vondeling Rosé.